Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Mauritanian released from Guantanamo won’t pursue complaints

NOUAKCHOTT, Mauritania – A Mauritanian who returned home Monday after being held at the U.S. detention centre at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for nearly 14 years says he will not file complaints against the United States or Mauritania.

Mohamedou Ould Slahi, a former al-Qaida extremist, said Saturday that “my slogan is to not pursue complaints against anyone who made me suffer injustice.”

He did not respond to reporters’ questions. His American lawyers were present as he spoke.

Ould Slahi attracted attention in 2015 with the publication of “Guantanamo Diary,” the first and only memoir by a still-imprisoned Guantanamo detainee that became an international bestseller.

He had been held without charges since 2002.

Sixty detainees remain at Guantanamo, including 19 who have been approved for release.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.