Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
BERLIN – A prolific director of German television dramas has resigned as head of a theatre festival following allegations of sexual misconduct.
Dieter Wedel has denied claims by several women that he pressured them for sex. The allegations, first published by respected weekly Die Zeit, mostly date back several decades.
In a statement Monday, the 75-year-old said the allegations had left him “deeply disturbed and shaken,” and damaged his health.
Wedel, who’s best known in Germany as the director of popular TV dramas, is the first prominent figure in the country to be named since the #MeToo movement targeting alleged sexual abusers in the media and the arts emerged last year.
Thomas Fehling, the mayor of the German town Bad Hersfeld that is hosting the theatre festival, said he respected Wedel’s decision.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.