Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Congo opposition figure sentenced to 5 years in prison

KINSHASA, Congo – Authorities in Congo say a key opposition figure has been sentenced to five years in prison amid heightened political tensions in this Central African nation.

A court found Franck Diongo guilty of arbitrary arrest and aggravated illegal detention. Authorities accused him of holding members of the presidential guard at his residence earlier this month and said Diongo’s supporters beat them.

Georges Kapiamba, president of Access to Justice, said Wednesday’s sentencing comes after “an unjust trial.”

Also Wednesday, 15 people were sentenced to three years in prison in Lubumbashi after demonstrating against President Joseph Kabila earlier this month.

The opposition says delayed elections should be held as soon as possible and Kabila should step down after his mandate expired last week. Negotiations toward a possible solution to the crisis continue.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.