Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Select Region
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
HOUSTON – A federal appeals court has refused to reconsider an appeal from a Honduran man on Texas death row for beating and strangling a Houston woman during a robbery at her home more than 20 years ago.
A three-judge panel of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in March ruled against 46-year-old Carlos Ayestas. In an opinion released Monday, the court said the full court would not rehear the appeal that argues his previous lawyers were deficient and questions the accuracy of the earlier ruling that said he had been examined by a psychologist for his 1997 trial. Ayestas wasn’t.
A Harris County jury took 12 minutes to decide Ayestas should die for murdering 67-year-old Santiaga Pareque in the September 1995 robbery.
He doesn’t yet have an execution date.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.