Egypt Cabinet spokesman: 3-month-old state of emergency ends Tuesday after court ruling

CAIRO – Egypt’s cabinet spokesman says the country’s 3-month-old state of emergency is ending Tuesday after a court ruling.

A Cairo court ruled earlier in the day that the state of emergency expires Tuesday, Nov. 12, two days earlier than the interior minister said it would end.

The discrepancy came because while the state of emergency began on Aug. 14, it was renewed for two months on Sept. 12. The court said that means it ends on Nov. 12, not Nov. 14.

The end of the state of emergency would mean the end of a curfew also in place. The Cabinet spokesman says the government will abide by the ruling, but is waiting for the court to issue the decision in writing. It was not clear how long that would take.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.