Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

German prosecutors plan to return some artworks found in apartment to reclusive collector

BERLIN – German prosecutors investigating a huge art trove found in Munich are planning to return works to collector Cornelius Gurlitt once they are confirmed as belonging to him and not stolen by the Nazis.

Augsburg prosecutor Reinhard Nemetz said in a statement Tuesday that he asked a newly established government task force to identify the owners of the more than 1,400 works as soon as possible and return to Gurlitt those pieces that belong to him without a doubt.

Authorities found the paintings and art works in Gurlitt’s apartment in February 2012 while investigating a tax case, though the find only became public through media reports last month. The government has said 590 pieces may have been looted by the Nazis.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.