Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Indonesian residents hunt for food and water after deadly floods; 193 dead in Sri Lanka

MEDAN, Indonesia (AP) — Some residents of the flood-hit Indonesian island of Sumatra have resorted to stealing food and water to survive, authorities said Sunday, while Sri Lankan officials said deaths from floods and mudslides in that island nation have risen to 193.

The floods, which hit Indonesia nearly a week ago, have killed 316 people — with the number expected to rise as more bodies are recovered — and displaced thousands. The deluges triggered landslides, damaged roads, cut off parts of the island, and downed communication lines.

The challenging weather conditons and the lack of heavy equipment also hampered rescue efforts. Aid has been slow to reach the hardest-hit city of Sibolga and Central Tapanuli district in North Sumatra.

Videos on social media showed people scrambling past crumbling barricades, flooded roads and broken glass to get their hands on food, medicine and gas. Some even waded through waist-deep floodwaters to reach damaged convenience stores.

The spokesperson for the police, Ferry Walintukan, said earlier it received reports of people breaking in to shops on Saturday evening, and that regional police had been deployed to restore order.

“The looting happened before logistical aid arrived,” Walintukan said. “(Residents) didn’t know that aid would come and were worried they would starve.”

Eleven helicopters were deployed from Jakarta to the affected areas the day after the disaster for ongoing logistics distribution operations, especially to areas where land access was cut off, Cabinet Secretary Teddy Indra Wijaya, said on Sunday, “but unpredictable weather often hampers aid operations.”

The Cabinet Secretariat released footage of the military airdropping supplies to the affected areas. In the village of North Tapanuli, survivors waved frantically to the helicopters carrying aid. Meanwhile, four navy ships docked at a port to support aid distribution.

Meanwhile, authorities in Sri Lanka said the death toll from floods and mudslides has risen to 193, with 228 others still missing.

Nearly 148,000 people have been displaced from their homes and are housed in temporary shelters.

Sri Lanka has been battered by severe weather since last week. Conditions worsened Thursday, with heavy downpours that flooded homes, fields and roads and triggered landslides mainly in the tea-growing central hill country.

Authorities say that Cyclone Ditwah, which developed in the seas east of Sri Lanka, is likely to move toward India’s southern coast Sunday.

Indonesian residents hunt for food and water after deadly floods; 193 dead in Sri Lanka | iNFOnews.ca
Flood victims wade through a submerged area of Colombo, Sri Lanka, on Sunday, Nov. 30, 2025. (AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena)
Indonesian residents hunt for food and water after deadly floods; 193 dead in Sri Lanka | iNFOnews.ca
People wade through a submerged area of Colombo, Sri Lanka, following flooding on Sunday, Nov. 30, 2025. (AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena)
Indonesian residents hunt for food and water after deadly floods; 193 dead in Sri Lanka | iNFOnews.ca
Landslide survivors clean the debris in Hanguranketha, Sri Lanka, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP Photo/Lakshmen Neelawathura)

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.