Nova Scotia lifts its ban on travel in wooded areas after heavy rain

HALIFAX – A ban on activities in Nova Scotia’s woods has been lifted across the mainland after a day of heavy rainfall.

The ban on camping, hiking or visiting woods was announced last week in an effort to reduce the risk of wildfires.

The restrictions were lifted in Cape Breton earlier this week, and the Department of Natural Resources says it’s now safe to open the woods across the mainland as well.

Natural Resources Minister Lloyd Hines says in a statement that the hard work of firefighters and the “good fortune” of rainfall made it possible to lift the ban.

The statement says burning restrictions have also been lifted, meaning it’s now safe to have a campfire or brush fire — though all fires must be put out by 8 a.m. The Halifax Regional Municipality also ended its own ban on open-air burning Wednesday.

Firefighters battled more than a dozen wildfires in recent weeks, including a large one that raged for several days near Kejimkujik National Park, which itself Wednesday announced it was open to visitors again.

News from © The Canadian Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Canadian Press

The Canadian Press is Canada's trusted news source and leader in providing real-time, bilingual multimedia stories across print, broadcast and digital platforms.