Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
TEHRAN, Iran – Two attackers scaled the wall of a Basij paramilitary base and opened fire, killing one member of Iran’s powerful Revolutionary Guard and wounding five others in the southeastern town of Nikshahr, Iranian media reported Saturday.
Nikshahr prosecutor Mohsen Golmohammadi told the semi-official Mehr news agency the victim was a “member of the Guard” and identified him as Morteza Aliahmadi. He did not elaborate on Aliahmadi’s rank. The Basij is affiliated with the Guard.
Golmohammadi said both attackers escaped.
No group immediately claimed responsibility.
The attack happened during the morning flag raising at the base, the semi-official Fars news agency reported.
Nikshahr is located in Sistan-Baluchistan province. Last week, a double-bombing attack injured three policemen in Zahedan, the provincial capital. Baluch separatists and drug traffickers have claimed responsibility for past attacks.
In December, a suicide car bomber struck a police headquarters in the port city of Chabahar, killing at least two police and wounding 42 others.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.