Pennsylvania city council opposes ‘Cops’ filming in progress

HAZLETON, Pa. – The council of an eastern Pennsylvania city has voted to oppose letting the reality show “Cops” film its officers — even though the eight-week television shoot is about halfway over.

The (Hazleton) Standard-Speaker (http://bit.ly/28N66PV ) reports Hazleton council passed the non-binding resolution by a 3-1 vote Tuesday night.

It asks Mayor Jeff Cusat to end production of the show, which depicts officers on duty.

Cusat says the resolution “holds no weight and there’s no validity to it” and says filming will continue.

Council President Jack Mundie has said his issue isn’t the filming itself, but rather council not reviewing the contract and related insurance agreements before Cusat agreed to the deal with Langely Productions last month.

The company says the episodes will air the end of this year and early 2017.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.