Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

In Denmark, teenage girl charged with planning bomb attacks

COPENHAGEN – A Danish prosecutor says a 16-year-old girl has been formally charged with planning bomb attacks against two schools in Denmark.

Prosecutor Lise-Lotte Nilas says the teenager is accused of “having made preparations to make bombs” using the explosive known as TATP. She said her targets were a school west of Copenhagen and a Jewish school in the capital.

Police thwarted the plans by arresting the girl on Jan. 13, 2016. A trial is set to start April 7, 2017 in Holbaek, northwest of the Danish capital.

Charges against a 25-year-old man, initially believed to an accomplice, have been dropped.

Defence lawyer Michael Juul Eriksen told The Associated Press his client, who twice had been in Syria, would be released later Friday.

Neither the girl nor the man could be identified.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.