Kenya military: 4 extremists killed averting an attack

NAIROBI, Kenya – A Kenyan military official says soldiers killed four Islamic extremists from Somalia’s al-Shabab rebels suspected to have been planning an attack on the coastal county of Lamu.

Military spokesman Col. David Obonyo said Wednesday that Kenyan troops killed the fighters after pursuing them overnight. Obonyo said the extremists launched an exploratory attack on an army base Tuesday. He said a Kenyan soldier was wounded in the gunfight. Obonyo said a cache of weapons was recovered including an improvised bomb.

Somali based al-Shabab militants have killed hundreds of Kenyans since Oct. 2011, when Kenyan troops were deployed to Somalia to fight the rebels. Last week al-Shabab killed five police officers in Mandera County in Kenya’s north.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.