Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
HOUSTON – The Latest on the legal wrangling over the Trump administration’s policy to separate immigrant families who crossed the border illegally (all times local):
5 p.m.
A San Diego federal judge is considering expanding a landmark immigrant family separation case after a watchdog report found the Trump administration’s zero-tolerance policy was started as far back as July 2017.
Judge Dana Sabraw told the court Thursday that he would issue his ruling soon.
The government has acknowledged taking more than 2,700 children from their families last spring and has reunited most of them. But a watchdog report last month found that thousands of other children were separated and released before the June 26 order.
The American Civil Liberties Union wants the court to hold the government accountable for those children as well.
The government told the judge that would be a huge burden and dramatically change the case.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.