Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
KABUL – An Afghan official says 26 soldiers have been killed in a blistering Taliban assault on an Afghan National Security base in southern Kandahar province.
Mohammad Radmanish, defence ministry’s deputy spokesman, said Wednesday the Taliban assault overnight in Khakrez district left another 13 soldiers wounded.
Kandahar is considered the spiritual heartland of the Taliban.
In previous reports the U.S. Special Inspector General for Reconstruction (SIGAR) has called the casualty rate among Afghanistan’s National Security Forces “shockingly high.” Last year more than 6,800 were killed and another 12,000 wounded according to a SIGAR report earlier this year.
The Afghan military and security forces number 195,000 soldiers and more than 150,000 policemen. They have struggled to contain the insurgency, which has stepped up attacks across the country.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.