Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
URBANA, Ill. – A federal judge in central Illinois must decide in coming days whether to grant a defence motion to delay the trial of a 28-year-old man accused of killing a University of Illinois scholar from China.
The judge in Urbana gave Brendt Christensen’s lawyers until Tuesday to respond to prosecutors, who said last week they currently oppose pushing the trial from Feb. 27 to October. They said they’d agree to some delay only if the Department of Justice chooses to seek the death penalty.
Christensen is charged in the June kidnapping and death of 26-year-old Yingying Zhang. Her body hasn’t been found. Prosecutors say they could know by Feb. 1 whether the Justice Department will seek the death penalty.
The defence wants a delay no matter what, citing the case’s complexity.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.