Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
HALIFAX – Officials say four people aboard a stranded, storm-battered sailboat off Nova Scotia have been rescued.
Joint Task Force Atlantic tweeted Monday night that the four crew members were hoisted into a Royal Canadian Air Force helicopter and flown safely to Halifax.
Capt. Wayne Jarvis, air co-ordinator with the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Halifax, had said earlier that the U.K.-registered vessel was about 240 nautical miles southeast of Halifax.
He said the 15-metre sailboat had been beaten up in the stormy seas, and at 6 p.m. AT was in the “storm centre” with winds up to 50 knots causing high seas.
A photo tweeted by the task force appeared to show the vessel with a torn jib flapping in the wind, although the mainsail looked to be stowed.
An earlier tweet said the sailboat was “disabled.”
Several assets, including HMCS Summerside, HMCS Glace Bay and a U.S. Coast Guard aircraft, assisted in the operation.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.