Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Select Region
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
TEHRAN, Iran – Iran says it has reached an agreement with Saudi Arabia for 85,000 Iranian pilgrims to attend the hajj after Tehran boycotted last year’s annual Muslim pilgrimage.
The official IRNA news agency said Friday that the agreement was reached between an Iranian delegation and Saudi officials.
Iran boycotted last year’s hajj after a stampede and crush of pilgrims in 2015 killed at least 2,426 people. Iran had the highest death toll of any country, with 464 killed.
Sunni Saudi Arabia and Shiite Iran are regional rivals who support opposite sides in the wars in Syria and Yemen. Riyadh cut diplomatic relations with Tehran last year after demonstrators stormed Saudi diplomatic missions in Iran over the kingdom’s execution of a prominent Shiite cleric.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.