Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Select Region
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
SOUTHAMPTON, England – Manchester United will review CCTV footage from its match against Southampton on Saturday to identify supporters who ignored the club’s request to stop performing an offensive chant about forward Romelu Lukaku.
The controversial chant was heard last week at Old Trafford in the Champions League and was quickly condemned by the anti-discrimination group Kick It Out.
United responded with comments from Lukaku, who thanked fans for their support but implored them to stop using the chant.
However, on Saturday in Southampton, a section of supporters was once more heard singing the same racist stereotype about Lukaku, a Belgian who is black.
“Manchester United has a zero tolerance stance on offensive chanting and behaviour. The club and player have been clear in asking for an end to the chant,” a club statement said. “The club has worked with relevant bodies and supporters groups in trying to eradicate any offensive behaviour and will take further action against individuals if this continues.
“The club is in discussion with the police and has asked for CCTV footage from Southampton and will try to identify those who disrespected the player’s wishes not to sing the song.”
United manager Jose Mourinho said he doesn’t understand the songs.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.