Oklahoma reserve deputy who shot and killed suspect pleads not guilty to manslaughter

TULSA, Okla. – A 73-year-old Oklahoma reserve deputy who fatally shot a suspect who was pinned down by officers pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to a second-degree manslaughter charge.

Robert Bates declined to comment to reporters as he made his initial court appearance in Tulsa district court. His next court date is scheduled for July 2.

The Tulsa County volunteer has said he shot Eric Harris on April 2 after confusing his stun gun and handgun. The 44-year-old suspect died after running from a sting operation involving gun sales.

The district attorney charged Bates in the death after the sheriff’s office released video of shooting in which Bates is overheard apologizing for shooting the suspect.

In separate news conferences on Monday, the county sheriff and lawyers for Harris’ family disagreed on whether the reserve officer should have been allowed to conduct police work.

Sheriff Stanley Glanz said Bates, his longtime insurance agent and former campaign manager, had been properly trained and passed annual firearms certifications required by the state.

Dan Smolen, a lawyer for Harris’ family, said the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office violated a number of its internal policies by letting Bates carry his personal handgun after training at the range on another weapon. Smolen also said the department failed to keep a permanent record of Bates’ training, in violation of local policies.

Records Bates released during the weekend showed that the volunteer officer was trained on a .45, not the weapon used in Harris’ death.

Bates, who sold his insurance business for $6 million in 1999, was trained to be a Tulsa Police Department patrolman in 1964 but left in 1965. He was out of law enforcement for 35 years, returning for volunteer work in Florida in 2000 before joining the Tulsa County force in 2008 and making a number of donations to the agency.

Fatal shootings by police officers and other law enforcement agents have become a major issue in the U.S. over the past year. Many of the cases have led to debate about the treatment of black men and boys by law enforcement agencies.

Bates is white and Harris, 55, was black. However, Andre Harris, the victim’s brother, has said he does not believe the shooting was racially motivated.

___

Associated Press writer Allen Reed in Little Rock, Arkansas, contributed to this report.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.