Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Conservation work completed on Auschwitz barracks

WARSAW, Poland – The Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum says conservation work has been completed on half of a wooden barracks that housed prisoners at the former Nazi German death camp during World War II.

The restored half had been on loan to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C., for more than 20 years before it was returned in 2013 to its original site in southern Poland, an area under German occupation during the war.

The U.S. museum had resisted demands by Poland to return the object, arguing that it was too fragile to be returned.

But Poland insisted that its own law required its return.

A spokesman for the Auschwitz museum, Pawel Sawicki, said Tuesday that conservation work was completed in mid-July and will open to study groups in August, following a gathering this week of Catholic youth in the area with Pope Francis.

The part that remained on the site had been previously restored.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.