Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
KINSHASA, Congo – Officials say torrential rains and flooding have left at least 50 people dead in southwestern Congo.
Storms earlier this week battered the town of Boma, which is 470 kilometres (nearly 300 miles) south of the capital, Kinshasa.
Jacques Mbadu Nsitu, governor of Kongo-Central province, says as many as 20 other people remain missing.
The governor says water levels rose dramatically to between 2 and 3 metres (6 and 9 feet) high within about two hours’ time.
The flooding has left at least 1,000 people in the area homeless. Many of those affected lived along the river, and officials in Boma were urging residents Thursday not to rebuild in the low-lying areas.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.