People forced to leave in northern Alberta going home after crews hold wildfires

Emergency officials have lifted all evacuation orders for communities threatened by wildfires in northern Alberta.

About 5,000 people who were told to leave their homes earlier this week are in the process of returning to their homes.

Scott Long with the province’s Emergency Management Agency says fires near Wabasca and Slave Lake are being held.

He says residents have been advised that fire conditions could change and they may have to leave again.

The fire outlook throughout the province has been rated severe through the end of the week due to hot and dry weather.

A provincewide fire ban is still in effect, along with air quality advisories for Edmonton and areas north of the city.

As of Wednesday, there were 63 fires burning in Alberta and 13 were considered to be out of control.

A blaze near Cold Lake remained out of control, threatening the only access road into some oilsands sites.

News from © The Canadian Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Canadian Press

The Canadian Press is Canada's trusted news source and leader in providing real-time, bilingual multimedia stories across print, broadcast and digital platforms.