Iran says talks unlikely without change in US behaviour

TEHRAN, Iran – Iran says talks with the United States are unlikely without a “fundamental change” in American behaviour.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Ghasemi told reporters Monday that any future negotiations were unlikely “considering the policies taken by (President Donald) Trump.”

Then-president Barack Obama held a phone call with his Iranian counterpart, Hassan Rouhani, in 2013, the highest level contact since 1979. U.S. and Iranian diplomats met frequently in the lead-up to the 2015 nuclear accord.

Trump has taken a harder line toward Iran, portraying it as a regional menace.

Ghasemi said that at the U.N. General Assembly last month, “some people close to Mr. Trump requested and expressed his willingness for a meeting with Rouhani.” He said Rouhani declined.

The White House said reports that Trump requested a meeting were false.

News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?