Blue Jays second baseman Devon Travis goes 3-for-4 in triple-A rehab start

BUFFALO, N.Y. – Toronto Blue Jays second baseman Devon Travis admitted to having butterflies before his first rehab start at triple-A Buffalo on Thursday.

But after racking up a single on a line drive in his first at-bat, his nerves subsided.

Travis, who had two shoulder surgeries in the off-season, hit leadoff for the Bisons and was 3-for-4 with a double and two RBI’s in their 7-5 victory over Pawtucket.

“My heart was beating real, real fast,” Travis told reporters after the game. “I was doing a lot of talking to myself, telling myself to relax. But it was awesome.”

The 25-year-old played four games for single-A Dunedin, batting .357 with a .375 on-base percentage, before joining Buffalo.

“I felt really good,” Travis said. “It was fun playing in a little bit colder weather, fun to get the victory for sure.”

Travis appeared in just 62 games for the Blue Jays in his rookie season in 2015. He began last year on a hot streak, winning AL rookie of the month honours for April after hitting .325 with six home runs and 19 RBI’s.

His shoulder problems began when a line drive hit him square in the collarbone during a game in May. The pain spread to his shoulder and turned into a months-long issue.

Toronto has been lacking a true lead-off hitter since opening the 2016 season. Centre-fielder Kevin Pillar won that job out of spring training but outfielder Michael Saunders has also started at the lead-off spot this season. Slugger Jose Bautista hit at the top of the order on Thursday against the Minnesota Twins.

News from © The Canadian Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Canadian Press

The Canadian Press is Canada's trusted news source and leader in providing real-time, bilingual multimedia stories across print, broadcast and digital platforms.