Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
BENGHAZI, Libya – A Libyan spokesman says a top security official in the eastern city of Benghazi has survived an assassination attempt by a car bomb.
The spokesman, Walid Urfi, told The Associated Press that Col. Salah al-Hewidi — who refused to leave his post as a security chief of Benghazi after being sacked —was wounded in the Wednesday explosion.
It was the second assassination attempt targeting security officials in one month. Last month, a nominee to al-Hewidi’s post was wounded in another car bomb attack in the city.
The eastern-based government, headed by Abdullah al-Thinni, sacked al-Hewidi. Al-Thinni answers to the internationally-recognized parliament seated in eastern Libya. Another UN-backed government is seated in the capital Tripoli.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.