Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

MONTREAL – Roger Federer is pacing himself at 33 and won’t play in next month’s Rogers Cup.
The world’s second-ranked tennis player withdrew from the tournament because of scheduling issues, organizers announced Wednesday.
A tournament spokeswoman said Federer “wants to pace himself and not overload his calendar” and hopes to be in top shape for the U.S. Open.
“I am disappointed that I won’t be playing in Montreal because it’s a tournament and a city that I really enjoy and has incredible fans,” Federer said in a statement released by Tennis Canada. “I hope to be back in the future.”
The 33-year-old reached the Wimbledon final in early July before losing to Novak Djokovic.
Federer is a two-time Rogers Cup champion, winning in 2004 and 2006. He lost to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga last year when it was in Toronto.
The Swiss star has played in the tournament 11 times dating to 2000.
“We are obviously disappointed to have Roger withdraw as it is always a privilege to watch him play,” tournament director Eugene Lapierre said in a statement. “We also understand his decision because, above all, he has always been very loyal to our event and we would love to see him play tennis for many more years to come.”
Jerzy Janowicz of Poland will take Federer’s place.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.