NDP candidate in Nova Scotia resigns after Facebook posting on Israel emerges

HALIFAX – An NDP candidate in Nova Scotia has resigned after comments he allegedly made in a Facebook discussion emerged on a Conservative website.

Morgan Wheeldon was the party’s candidate in the Annapolis Valley riding of Kings-Hants, but NDP campaign advisor Brad Lavigne said Monday that is no longer the case.

A party news release didn’t provide details of what Lavigne said on Facebook, and the post has been deleted.

However, the Conservatives are circulating a Facebook screen grab from 2014 where Wheeldon allegedly comments, “one could argue that Israel’s intention was always to ethnically cleanse the region.”

Lavigne said the party is aware of information that hadn’t been previously disclosed and the candidate’s position was “not in line” with the NDP position.

He said when the party approached Wheeldon with this information, he submitted his resignation.

News from © The Canadian Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Canadian Press

The Canadian Press is Canada's trusted news source and leader in providing real-time, bilingual multimedia stories across print, broadcast and digital platforms.