Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Select Region
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. – The waters off two popular Southern California beaches have closed after a shark aggressively bumped a surfer’s board.
A dispatcher with Newport Beach Fire and Lifeguard Operations says the 6- to- 8-foot shark bumped the board and lifted it out of the water around 4:30 p.m. Thursday in Huntington State Beach.
Dispatcher Mark Herman says the shark’s behaviour is considered aggressive and led to the immediate closure of the beach 1 mile in each direction, affecting Newport and Huntington beaches.
Herman says boats and a helicopter will search the area Friday. Unless an aggressive shark is spotted, he says the beach should reopen no later than 4 p.m.
Last month, a section of Huntington Beach closed after a 5- to 8-foot shark bumped the underside of a surfer’s board.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.