Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
The monthlong government shutdown is expected to hit federal courts on Feb. 1.
So far, the judiciary has managed to continue full-paid operations by using court fees and non-earmarked funds. But the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts now estimates that that money will run out by the end of next week.
The office has revised its estimate several times during the shutdown, but now says “no further extensions” will be possible beyond Feb. 1.
Judges would continue working with pay, but some court employees would likely be furloughed or told to work without pay. Each judicial district would decide which employees are essential.
Administrators said the courts will continue to conduct criminal trials. Some civil cases around the country have been put on hold because of the shutdown.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.