Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
TEHRAN, Iran – Iran’s state prosecutor says he will pursue legal action against Saudi Arabia’s rulers in international courts over the crush of pilgrims at this year’s hajj, which killed more than 700 people, including 136 Iranians.
Ebrahim Raisi, speaking on state TV Saturday, called the disaster “a crime” subject to prosecution. He said Saudi authorities blocked a road used by hajj pilgrims to allow a royal convoy to pass through, causing the deadly convergence of two waves of pilgrims going in opposite directions.
At least 719 pilgrims suffocated or were trampled to death. Iranians comprise the largest group of casualties identified so far.
Iranian state TV says Ghazanfar Roknabadi, a former ambassador to Lebanon, as well as two Iranian state TV reporters and a prominent political analyst are among those still missing.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.