Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

French troops end mission to Central African Republic

BANGUI, Central African Republic – The French Defence minister says his country is ending its military peacekeeping mission in Central African Republic.

Jean-Yves Le Drian, in the capital, Bangui, Monday to mark the end of France’s nearly three-year mission to help stabilize the country, said that some French troops would remain in Central African Republic as part of the U.N. peacekeeping mission.

Le Drian met with President Faustin Archange Touadera and addressed the country’s parliament.

The withdrawal of the French force, which at its peak was estimated at 2,000 troops, comes when there has been a new outbreak of violence in Central African Republic. The U.N. peacekeeping mission said that 25 people were killed last week in clashes between armed groups amid “rising tension” in parts of the long-turbulent country.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.