Three new raccoon rabies cases in Hamilton prompts expanded inoculation effort

Ontario wildlife officials have significantly stepped up their vaccine blitz in Hamilton after three new cases of raccoon rabies, bringing the total to four that have tested positive for the virus in the past week.

Chris Davies, head of wildlife research with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, said they have so far dropped 14,000 rabies vaccine baits in Stoney Creek, where the first rabid raccoon was found.

Now they will be dropping 32,000 additional baits, mostly by helicopter, in an expanded area south and southwest of Hamilton in an effort to control the outbreak. By comparison, Ontario dropped more than 100,000 vaccine baits across the entire province all last year.

Davies said they are hoping to finish the blitz before the weekend.

“We are trying to get them out as quickly because of this weather window,” Davies said.

“They are active because it is so warm, but because they are active, we can also get them vaccinated. Once they den up for the winter, they won’t get the baits.”

The first raccoon to test positive for the raccoon rabies strain since 2005 only came to light after two dogs got into a fight with a sick animal in the back of an animal services van last week.

The two bull mastiffs who fought the ailing creature remain in quarantine under the city’s care as the owners try to figure out if they can afford to board them in isolation for three months or if they’ll be forced to euthanize them.

Last Wednesday, an animal services officer picked up the dogs, Mr. Satan and Lexus, after they escaped their yard and placed them in cages in a van with a sick raccoon.

Somehow the raccoon and one of the dogs got loose from their cages and fought in the van, leading to injuries for both dogs. The raccoon was later euthanized and tested positive for rabies while the unvaccinated dogs were exposed to the virus due to the brawl.

There is a question of what to do with the dogs. The city said it cannot board the dogs much longer and their futures fall under the purview of the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.

A ministry spokeswoman said they are working with the dogs’ owner “to ensure that a decision is reached in a timely manner.”

Paula Fancey, who owns the dogs, said she got a call from that ministry saying she must find a place to board the dogs in the next few days or they will be put to sleep.

“It’s not right,” Fancey said.

“The city is responsible. I mean, I’ll take responsibility for them breaking out of our backyard, but why were they left in a van with a sick raccoon? And now we have to pay for three months boarding or put them down?”

She said she hasn’t yet found anyone who is willing to board two large dogs that have been exposed to rabies.

———

Follow @liamdevlincasey on Twitter

News from © The Canadian Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Canadian Press

The Canadian Press is Canada's trusted news source and leader in providing real-time, bilingual multimedia stories across print, broadcast and digital platforms.