Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

4 detained in French probe into failed 2015 church attack

PARIS – French authorities say four men have been detained in an investigation into a failed attack last year on a suburban Paris church.

The Paris prosecutor’s office said the four men were arrested separately Tuesday in suburbs northwest of Paris. France’s LCI television reported they may have provided logistical help to chief suspect Sid Ahmed Ghlam.

Authorities say Ghlam, a 25-year-old Algerian, planned to attack a church in Villejuif and is also suspected in the killing of a woman nearby. The computer science student was arrested in April 2015 after apparently shooting himself by accident and has been jailed on preliminary charges since then.

Authorities have made other arrests in the case.

Investigators have said Ghlam received instructions from someone, possibly in Syria, before implementing the plot.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.