Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
KINSHASA, Congo – Authorities in Congo say a key opposition figure has been sentenced to five years in prison amid heightened political tensions in this Central African nation.
A court found Franck Diongo guilty of arbitrary arrest and aggravated illegal detention. Authorities accused him of holding members of the presidential guard at his residence earlier this month and said Diongo’s supporters beat them.
Georges Kapiamba, president of Access to Justice, said Wednesday’s sentencing comes after “an unjust trial.”
Also Wednesday, 15 people were sentenced to three years in prison in Lubumbashi after demonstrating against President Joseph Kabila earlier this month.
The opposition says delayed elections should be held as soon as possible and Kabila should step down after his mandate expired last week. Negotiations toward a possible solution to the crisis continue.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.