Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
LONDON – Britain’s culture secretary needs more time to consider Twenty-First Century Fox’s takeover bid for the Sky pay television and broadband network.
Culture Secretary Karen Bradley said Thursday in an update before Parliament breaks for recess that she is not yet in a position to make a final decision on whether or not to refer the matter to the Competition and Markets Authority for further review.
Britain’s government had stalled the takeover after regulators said it could give Rupert Murdoch and his family too much influence over the country’s media.
Bradley said last month the deal “potentially raises public interest concerns” and that she is “minded to” send it to the competition authority.
Murdoch’s New York-based media group is trying to buy the 61 per cent of Sky it doesn’t already own.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.