Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
LAUSANNE, Switzerland – Volleyball’s world governing body says “misunderstandings” in Iran are to blame after female spectators were denied entry to a men’s Beach Volleyball World Tour event.
Allowing women to attend the five-day competition at Kish Island had been a condition of world body FIVB for the Iranian volleyball federation to host the event.
Female fans are traditionally barred from attending male-only sports matches in Iran.
FIVB spokesman Richard Baker tells The Associated Press “there were some misunderstandings with regard to security” during play Tuesday.
He says women could then watch games from a cafe overlooking the main court.
Baker says “there have been misunderstandings throughout the day, and we have had to seek clarification.”
He says the Iranian federation “has the best intentions but there are cultural issues.”
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.