Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
ROME – Italy’s justice minister has reportedly asked officials to look into a case in which a court acquitted a man of raping a woman because she didn’t scream.
The Italian news agency ANSA said Thursday that Minister Andrea Orlando has asked ministry inspectors to begin checking into the case.
ANSA said a court in Turin had ruled last month that the woman’s saying “Enough!” to her colleague who allegedly raped her constituted too weak a reaction to prove that she was sexually attacked. The ruling specified she didn’t scream or ask for help.
Centre-right Forza Italia opposition lawmaker Annagrazia Calabria decried the ruling, saying, “Certainly, you cannot punish the personal reaction of a woman terrified by what is happening to her.”
The ruling has also triggered an outcry by women’s groups.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.