Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Turkish court charges 14 in connection with Ankara attack

ANKARA, Turkey – Turkey’s state-run agency says a court has charged 14 people in connection with last week’s suicide car bombing in Ankara and ordered them jailed pending trial. Seven others were released without charge.

Anadolu Agency said Monday the 14 are suspected of aiding a terror organization, forging official documents and fraud. It wasn’t immediately clear what part they had in the Feb. 17 attack, which targeted buses carrying military personnel and killed 28 people.

A Turkey-based Kurdish militant group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but the government insists it was carried out by a U.S.-backed Syrian Kurdish militia group in collaboration with Turkey’s own Kurdish rebels.

Turkey is pressing the U.S. to halt support to the group, which is a key force in the battle against the Islamic State group.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.