Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
KABUL – The long-awaited transfer of the U.S. detention centre in Afghanistan has been delayed once again as a deal struck between the two governments broke down the day before a planned handover ceremony.
As recently as Friday morning, Afghan workers at the Defence Ministry were arranging transport for dignitaries and journalists to attend Saturday’s ceremony at the detention centre adjoining the Bagram Air Field, a U.S. base about an hour outside of the capital.
Then on Saturday morning, organizers told journalists that the ceremony had been cancelled. Afghan officials declined to give a reason for the cancellation.
U.S. forces spokesman Jamie Graybeal says details of the transfer still needed to be worked out and a full agreement has not been reached.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.