Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Reuters social media editor charged in hacking conspiracy says he didn’t give out login info

LOS ANGELES, Calif. – A Reuters social media editor accused of conspiring with hackers to deface a Los Angeles Times story has posted a statement on Facebook saying he did not commit the crimes he’s accused of.

Federal prosecutors say 26-year-old Matthew Keys provided the hacking group Anonymous with login information to access the computer system of The Tribune Co., the Times’ parent company.

According to the indictment handed down last week, a hacker altered a Times article posted in December 2010.

Keys posted on Facebook late Wednesday that he “did not give a username and a password to anyone.” He also says he did not conspire to damage a protected computer or cause transmission of malicious code, as the indictment states.

Reuters hired Keys in 2012. He has been suspended from his job.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.