Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Select Region
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
MILAN – A Sicilian commercial fishing co-operative says two of its boats have been released after being seized in international waters by Egyptian officials for what were apparently technical checks.
Giovanni Tumbiolo, president of the COSVAP consortium, said Thursday that the boats were boarded Wednesday night at distances of 24 nautical miles and 26 nautical miles north of Alexandria, and taken to shore.
Tumbiolo said the fishermen and their boats were released and were resuming their fishing excursion. He said the reasons for the controls while the boats were in international waters were unclear but that the men had been treated well.
Italian fishing boats have previously been seized off Libya, with the Italian Navy intervening in one instance in April 2015 to free seven crew members.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.