Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
MEDAN, Indonesia – Police say a violent brawl between Buddhist and Muslim asylum seekers from Myanmar at an immigration detention centre in Indonesia has left eight people dead and 15 injured.
Local police chief Endro Kiswanto says the fight broke out Friday at the centre in North Sumatra province, where more than 100 Rohingya migrants and 11 illegal fishermen from Myanmar were being held together.
Eight Buddhists were killed in the clash, and 15 Rohingya were injured. Three other Buddhists escaped unharmed.
Police are investigating the incident, but Kiswanto says the melee began after the detainees learned about sectarian violence that hit central Myanmar last month when mobs of armed Buddhists torched Muslim-owned homes and shops. Dozens were killed and thousands were forced to flee.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.