Nobel laureate Tutu marks 2 weeks in South Africa hospital

JOHANNESBURG – The family of Nobel laureate Desmond Tutu says he is responding well to treatment for an infection after checking into a South African hospital two weeks ago.

The family of the retired archbishop said in a statement Tuesday that the 84-year-old Tutu will undergo a small surgical procedure in Cape Town on Wednesday. The statement does not specify what kind of infection Tutu has.

He was hospitalized several times last year.

Tutu was an outspoken opponent of apartheid, South Africa’s former system of white minority rule, and was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.