Georgia says at least 6 of its soldiers killed, 9 wounded in Afghan attack

TBILISI, Georgia – Georgia’s Defence Ministry says at least six Georgian soldiers have been killed in an attack by insurgents in Afghanistan.

Ministry spokesman Irakli Dzneladze says nine other soldiers were wounded in Thursday’s attack.

The attack comes as international troops stationed in the country are transferring responsibility for security to Afghan forces in preparation for a withdrawal of combat forces by the end of 2014.

Last month, three Georgian soldiers were killed and several others wounded in a suicide attack involving a vehicle packed with explosives at their base in Helmand Province.

Georgia, a former Soviet republic with aspirations of joining NATO, has 1,545 troops currently serving in Afghanistan.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.