Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

US airstrike targets Islamic State leader once thought dead

WASHINGTON – The Pentagon says that a top Islamic State commander believed to have been killed earlier this year was likely at an IS meeting Sunday near Mosul, Iraq, that was hit by an airstrike.

Pentagon press secretary Peter Cook says the U.S. is still working to confirm whether Omar al-Shishani was killed in the latest strike.

He says the U.S. had gotten indications very recently that al-Shishani may not be dead, and that he would be at the Sunday meeting. The U.S. ordered the strike to target him again.

The Pentagon in March confirmed that Shishani, also known as Omar the Chechen, had died from wounds suffered in an airstrike in Syria.

Al-Shishani has held numerous senior military positions within the Islamic State group, including “minister of war.”

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.