Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Select Region
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
HOUSTON – A federal judge formally has dismissed the wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of Sandra Bland, the Chicago-area woman who died last year in a Texas county jail days after her arrest by a state trooper for a traffic stop that became contentious.
The brief final judgment order signed Tuesday by U.S. District Judge David Hittner came after Bland family attorneys in September disclosed a $1.9 million settlement with the Texas Department of Public Safety, former trooper Brian Encinia and Waller County, about 50 miles northwest of Houston.
Bland’s lawyers told Hittner in a motion Monday that all claims were resolved.
Authorities have said the 28-year-old Bland killed herself in the jail three days after Encinia arrested her. A video from the July 2015 traffic stop provoked national outrage.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.