Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
KINSHASA, Congo – A lawyer for Congo opposition leader Moise Katumbi says a court has annulled his three-year prison sentence, enabling him to return from exile in Belgium.
The Court of Cassation, or supreme court of appeals, made the judgment Friday, saying that Katumbi can enter Congo a free man.
Lawyer Jean Joseph Mukendi said the court found fraud in the sentencing.
Congo’s government issued an arrest warrant last year against Katumbi, who had been a leading presidential contender before fleeing Congo in May 2016 after falling out with former President Joseph Kabila and as prosecutors announced they would try him on charges of hiring mercenaries, which he denied.
Katumbi tried to enter Congo to register as a candidate for December’s presidential election. He said he was blocked at the border with Zambia.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.