Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Cologne authorities plan secure zone this New Year’s Eve

BERLIN – Cologne authorities say they’re planning to fence off a large area around the city’s famous cathedral this New Year’s Eve as part of stepped-up security precautions aimed at preventing a repeat of last year’s attacks.

Mayor Henriette Reker said Wednesday that entry into the secure zone would only be through checkpoints, and no fireworks would be allowed, the dpa news agency reported.

In addition, police chief Juergen Mathies said there would be a strongly increased police presence both in the secure area and elsewhere in downtown Cologne.

It was outside the cathedral and by the nearby train station that most of the string of robberies and sexual assaults occurred last New Year’s, blamed largely on foreign men.

That sparked a debate about immigration in Germany.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.