Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Select Region
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria – An international aid group says a driver is dead and six people are missing after suspected extremists ambushed a convoy in northeastern Nigeria.
An Action Against Hunger statement says the convoy was heading to the border community of Damasak on Thursday when the ambush occurred. Country director Shashwat Saraf says the missing include one staffer, two drivers and three health workers.
Boko Haram extremists and others allied to the Islamic State group are active in the region where some 7 million people are affected by one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises. The Boko Haram insurgency has killed more than 20,000 and is now in its second decade.
Nigerian authorities last year acknowledged an extremist resurgence even as some continue to assert that the extremists have been defeated.
___
This version corrects name of country director and corrects to remove dead driver’s affiliation to aid group.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.