Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Italy says its embassy staff is safe after Libya bombing

ROME – Italy’s foreign ministry says the staff at its embassy in Tripoli, Libya, are all safe after a car bombing “in the vicinity of the Italian and Egyptian embassies” in that city.

The ministry said late Saturday that a vehicle “full of explosives” blew up earlier in the evening and that “it seems” there were two victims, who presumably were the two people in the car.

Italy said that Libyan authorities have stepped up security near the Italian embassy, which was recently re-opened.

Rome has played a leading role in trying to encourage a unity government in Libya. The North African country has been wracked by fighting and other violence involving rival militias after the demise of longtime leader Moammar Gadhafi in 2011.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.